This week, I want to share some of my latest and favorite recipes for taking care of your skin and using essential oils. To start things off, here’s a soothing facial mask for you to try! If you haven’t tried making your own facial masks or have never tried one, you’ve gotta give this DIY recipe a shot!
First, why does acne occur? It’s really interesting when you get to know how our bodies work. Because that is the only way to treat it when it’s out of balance. So knowing how acne happens and how our skin reacts is important to knowing how to treat it. Acne occurs when our sebaceous glands (the glands that produce sebum, an oily substance that helps to stop the skin from drying out) goes out of control, and produces too much sebum. The sebum then blocks the follicle with dead skin cells. The bacteria on our skin (which is usually harmless), then infects the blocked follicles causing the skin around it to become red and sore…acne. So one way to treat acne is to give your face a good cleansing every now and then to unclog your pores. That’s why this facial mask is good for you!
Second, let’s look at the ingredients that we’ll be using today.
- Organic Raw Honey: Regular honey that you would use in tea or foods is not the kind that you want to use in your bath and body products! Raw honey is the purest form, straight from the honeycomb. It has anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. It soothes sore throats (hot honey water anyone?). It helps improve digestive health and boost your immunity. When used topically, it helps heal wounds, and acts as an antibacterial product.
- Plain yogurt: Try to choose an organic brand of plain yogurt. The lactic acid in yogurt helps to dissolve dead skin and tighten pores. Like the honey, yogurt also contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Bentonite clay: This stuff is literally magic! When applied to the skin, the clay binds itself to bacteria and toxins and pulls them out from your pores.
- Geranium essential oil: This essential oil is antibacterial and will help fight against infection which is how acne is formed. It is also anti-inflammatory which will help with the redness. And it works as an astringent so it will help to tighten your skin.
I know you’re eager to try this recipe out, so give it a whirl, and let me know what you think!
DIY Geranium Facial Mask
- 1 Tbsp raw honey (where to buy)
- 1 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp bentonite clay (where to buy)
- 6 drops geranium essential oil (where to buy)
- Cloth face mask (where to buy) – this is optional